Optimise Your Recovery - The Essential Recovery List
Nailing your recovery is far more important than you may realise. A good recovery is essential to improving performance. Poor or inadequate recovery not only hinders your athletic ability but may also compromise your immune function.1
Optimise your repair processes by applying the following essential recovery checklist every time you cross that finish line:
- Recovery in a shake – Endura Optimizer is the perfect post-race recovery fuel, providing essential nutrients to support rapid recovery and replenish depleted glycogen stores; protein, carbohydrates, electrolytes and magnesium. Four scoops with 500 mL of water within one to four hours after the race and again before bed is recommended for best results.
- Stretch it out – stretching for 15 minutes after a race may support recovery.
- Make the most of sleep – adequate rest is part and parcel of the recovery process. One study investigating the importance of sleep for athletes found that extending sleep duration to ten hours per night, over five to six weeks, significantly improved performance.2 Try and go to bed at the same time each night and avoid stimulants before bed, such as caffeine or digital devices.
- Eat your way to recovery – getting your post-race diet right is critical for recovery. Although an all you can eat buffet may be tempting, aim for high-protein, nutrient rich meals loaded with fruit/veggies, nuts and seeds, such as:
- Salmon – providing omega-3 fatty acids and protein;
- Eggs – providing protein, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids;
- Bananas – providing potassium and carbohydrates;
- Nuts and seeds – providing protein, magnesium, omega-3, omega-6 and carbohydrates;
- Mixed berries – providing antioxidants and fibre; and
- Green leafy vegetables – nutrient dense and alkalising.
- Magnesium – this important mineral is often underappreciated for the benefits it can provide in relieving cramps and supporting muscle health. Endura Max is a high-strength and highly absorbable magnesium that may assist in maintaining normal muscle function and help ease muscle cramps and spasms.
* References available on request